Below is the short-form of my curriculum vitae. The full version is available on request.
Frances VC Ryan
Doctoral student in the Centre for Social Informatics at Edinburgh Napier University School of Computing, exploring the role of online information in personal reputation management and evaluation. (PhD expected: 2018)
Research interests: everyday life information seeking (ELIS), human information behaviour and use, social media use and behaviours, social informatics, online information sharing, and online reputation and identity.
I am interested in collaborations on these (and related) interests. I am also keen to discuss opportunities for post-doctoral research projects based on the output of PhD thesis or similar themes.
- Edinburgh Napier University; Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
PhD, Information Science (Expected: 2018)
- University of Stirling; Stirling, Scotland, UK
Master of Letters, Media and Culture; Nov 2012 (with distinction)
- Central Washington University; Ellensburg, Wash., USA
Bachelor of Arts, Public Relations; Minor, Historical Tourism; June 2003
- Cle Elum Roslyn High School, Easton High School; Wash., USA
High School Diploma; June 1992
- Edinburgh Napier University; Edinburgh, Scotland, UK; Associate Lecturer (Sept 2017—present)
Selected Publications, Presentations, and Workshops
Ryan, F., Cruickshank, P., Hall, H., Lawson, A. (2017). Building identity in online environments: An Information Science perspective. Poster presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association for Information Science and Technology (ASIST) 2017, Washington DC, US, 27 October – 1 November 2017.
Ryan, F., Cruickshank, P., Hall, H., Lawson, A. (2017). Blurred reputations: Managing profession and private information online. Paper presented at i3: information: interactions and impact (i3) 2017, Aberdeen, Scotland.
Ryan, F., Cruickshank, P., Hall, H., Lawson, A. (2016). Managing and evaluating personal reputations on the basis of information shared on social media: A Generation X perspective. Information Research. 21(4).
Ryan, F., Cruickshank, P., Hall, H., Lawson, A. (2016). Personal online reputation: the development of an approach to investigate how personal reputation is evaluated and managed in online environments. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Data Information and Information Management Conference (IDIMC). 25 Jan 2016. University of Loughborough, England. (Awarded best paper.)
Building your academic reputation online. Workshop delivered at Scottish Graduate School of Social Science Summer School 2017. University of Edinburgh, Scotland, 8 June 2017.
Personal online reputations: Managing what you can’t control. Invited talk at DARTS: Discover Academic Research, Training, and Support Conference, Dartington Hall, Devon, England, 2 June 2016.
Ryan, F., Cruickshank, P., Hall, H., Lawson, A. (2015). Assessing the available and accessible evidence: How personal reputations are determined and managed online. Short paper presented at Information: interactions and impact (i3), June 2015, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, Scotland.
Life in a digital fishbowl: Managing your reputation online. Invited talk at Skeptics on the Fringe, Edinburgh, 18 August 2014.
Grants and Awards
- Edinburgh Napier University Research Funding Competition (2016/17)
- John Campbell Trust Conference and Travel Grant (2016)
- ASIST Membership Grant (2016)
- Principal’s Research Excellence Award for Outstanding Contribution to University Life by a Research Student: Edinburgh Napier University (2016)
- First Place: Third-Year Presentation: Edinburgh Napier University, School of Computing PhD Student Conference (2016)
- Research Development Grant, Edinburgh Napier University (2015/16)
- Best Paper: 2nd International Data Information and Information Management Conference (IDIMC) (2016)
- Best 5-Minute Madness Presentation: 2nd International Data Information and Information Management Conference (IDIMC) (2016)
Academic Committees and Extracurricular Responsibilities
- Research & Innovation Committee; Edinburgh Napier University School of Computing (June 2015—Oct 2016)
- PhD Student Representative; Edinburgh Napier University School of Computing (June 2015—Oct 2016)
- Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team; Edinburgh Napier University (April 2015—May 2016)
- Connect (Student Champion); Edinburgh Napier University (Sept 2014—Aug 2015)
Community Volunteer Activities
- Joseph A. Aliseo Jr. Foundation; Roslyn, Wash., USA (2007—2011)
- Polycystic Kidney Disease Foundation, Seattle Chapter; USA (2005—2009)
- Sporting Chance Initiative; Public Relations and Communications Manager; Stirling, Scotland (Aug 2012—Sept 2013)
- Freelance Communications Consultant; Edinburgh, Scotland & USA (Jan 2000—Sept 2013)
- Washington State University College of Business; Creative Director, Communications Director; Pullman, Wash., USA (July 2006—July 2011)
- Foster Pepper PLLC; Marketing Coordinator; Seattle, Wash., USA (Aug 2004—May 2006)
- Customer Service Work; Kittitas County, Wash., USA (Feb 1989—Aug 2001)
Please contact me for referee details.